Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Statement

FEMME art projects
Femke Lutgerink / art historian and independent curator

In The Netherlands, I work independently, since 2002. I have a small firm called FEMME art projects. FEMME has two directions: the organisation and coordination of projects of other people, and projects I set up myself. Currently the focus is on the last. My resume - as posted on this website - will give you an idea what I did and what I am up to in the future.

When developing a concept for an exhibition I am always driven by questions coming forth out of social fascination for certain actual topics in combination with the specifics of the project location. Making an exhibition in New York – for me - is something completely different then making one in Berlin. My inspiration sources vary from artworks, film, philosophy, art and cultural theory, to literature and ordinary newspaper-articles.

An exhibition is more then bringing together some artworks. The concept – in images as well as in word/theory – is starting point for dialogue with artists, but also with others: writers, political scientists, philosophers etc. Together you try to formulate possible answers to questions you are confronted with. As a curator you create the framework. The communication of the concept is in the artworks, but also in communicating the (making) process of the exhibition, for example in a side program with discussions, films, or in the making of a book.

The projects of FEMME are never solo achievements. They are developed in collaboration with many people. I would like to thank all the people I had the opportunity to work with for their positive energy and input. I look forward to new collaborations, in The Netherlands, the USA or elsewhere.

FEMME art projects / USA

No comments: